Health Services Research Predoctoral Affiliate Program
The University of Chicago Health Services Research Training Program (HSRTP) is intended to support predoctoral training in health services research for students already enrolled in a University of Chicago PhD program.
The affiliate program was created to increase collaboration and training among students who would not otherwise qualify for support from the program’s funded fellowships. Predoctoral affiliates actively participate in the training program by attending the weekly Health Economics Workshop, attending the monthly UCANU seminar, and submitting an updated learning plan twice annually.
Prospective affiliates are welcome to submit an application at any time. Please contact Kelsey Bogue, CHeSS Associate Director of Training Programs, with any questions.
Similar to the predoctoral fellowship program, affiliates will benefit from an affiliation with the Center for Health and the Social Sciences (CHeSS), exposure to Health Services Research (HSR) on campus and at Northwestern University, and an introduction to faculty and with similar research interests. Moreover, predoctoral affiliates may better position themselves for future pre or postdoctoral fellowships.
Required activities include:
- Attend the Health Economics Workshop (HEW), which takes place on Thursdays from 3:30-5:00 pm at the Harris School.
- Attend the joint UChicago and Northwestern (UCANU) research seminars, which bring together HSRTP pre and postdoctoral fellows at both institutions. These seminars typically take place on the first Friday of every month from 3-4:30 pm and allow trainees to present their research to one another.
- Participate in a Policy Practicum, Translation, and Communication mini-course, if offered.
- Complete and submit semi-annual learning plans to assess career and academic development.
Predoctoral affiliates do not receive any funding from the HSRTP.
- Applicants must be PhD candidates at the University of Chicago who have an expressed interest in health services research.
- There is no citizenship requirement to be a part of the affiliate program.
- PhD students may apply to be an affiliate at any stage in their training, including during their first or second year of their PhD program.
- Trainees must be in residence at the University of Chicago for the academic year for which they are offered a student affiliate position.
- Individuals from diverse, underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our current and past predoctoral fellows have come from a variety of departments and professional schools at the University of Chicago, including: the Booth School of Business, Comparative Human Development, Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science, Economics, the Harris School of Public Policy, Psychology, Public Health Sciences, the School of Social Service Administration, and Sociology. While graduate students from any discipline are welcome to apply, applicants should intend to pursue academic careers in health services research or related fields.
Predoctoral Affiliate Application Process
Applicants must submit the following materials through the online portal to be considered for the affiliate program.
- Statement of research goals (limit 500 words)
In keeping with its long-standing traditions and policies, the University of Chicago considers students, employees, applicants for admission or employment, and those seeking access to University programs on the basis of individual merit. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law (including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972). For additional information regarding the University of Chicago’s Policy on Harassment, Discrimination, and Sexual Misconduct, please click here.